Thursday, March 24, 2016

Naamgenoot

At least once a month I get what I refer to as fan mail.  It comes in the form of a Facebook message.  They show up in the messages, but there is an “Inbox” and an “Other” box.  They show up in “other” and I’m not alerted that there is even any mail there. When I finally discovered it, there were several messages waiting for me all saying how great I am.  The last one was from a 28-year old man from South Korea - the messages are from all over the globe.  They usually say something like, “I’m your biggest fan.”  “Can I get an autographed picture?” “You’re the best.” “I love you!”

As flattering as all this may seem, it turns out that, even as unusual of a name as I have, I am not the only Jennifer Fopma in the world.  The other Jennifer Fopma in the world is a professional beach volleyball player.  Yep.  Google “image Jennifer Fopma” and you will find one or two of me surrounded by a sea of bikini clad beach volleyball athletic beauty.  We have absolutely nothing in common.  She was born in Holland.  She now lives in California.  And she is 6’3”!  I’m a Michigander – always have been.  Even went to college here. Go Blue!  And I’m 5’4” (In truth, I am probably closer to 5’3”, but I like to round up – when I do I get thinner according to the BMI scale).  Nothing in common.  Well…

As I struggled to find connection with my name fellow I realized that we do share a few things other than our name in common. It struck me when I was doing a presentation.  I often facilitate a short exercise when I present to a group that has a good mix of men and women.  I start by asking the men in the room what they do on a daily basis to keep themselves safe from assault and rape.  I have the chalk in my hand and I am ready to write down their answers.  Instead, I typically get blank stares – the kind of stare that indicates that they didn’t even understand the question.  Anyone?  Anyone?  Bueller?  Bueller?

So, I go on to ask the women in the room what they do on a daily basis to keep themselves safe from assault and rape.  I can’t write fast enough to keep up!  Walk with my keys in my hands.  Park under a light.  Cover my drink at a bar.  Don’t go to the restroom alone.  Carry mace in my purse.  Never go out alone at night.  Bought a dog for protection since I live alone.  Cross the street when I see a man walking toward me.  Look in the backseat of my car before I get in.  Don’t wear headphones when I run so I can be alert to my surroundings.  Don’t run or walk at night alone.  Etc.  Etc.  Etc.

It is an eye opening exercise.  Most men in the room really have no idea that not a single day goes by that at least one of a woman’s actions are consciously dictated by the threat of assault.  This is something that almost all women have in common.  I do many of these things.  I bet the other Jennifer Fopma does them too.

I’m not sure why I want to have a connection with my naamgenoot (that is what the Dutch call a namesake- I use it to honor the Dutch heritage of the other Jennifer Fopma…and because it is really fun to say).  I think it started because it was just amusing to wonder what it would be like to have her life – to be tall and athletic and the star of the team.  Maybe now it is just because if I find a connection I will feel less voyeuristic receiving and reading her fan mail.  I have realized, however, that knowing about her success inspires me.  We can’t all be the star of the team, but we can be a star in our own life. 

That is what I want my daughter to be able to focus on. I don’t want her to find immediate connections with other women because they have to do the same things to stay safe.  I want her to find connections with other women because they share the desire to become the best version of themselves.  Who she will become is infinitely more important than what she will do for a living or what she will have.  That should be what consciously dictates her actions on a daily basis.  If/when the other Jennifer Fopma is a parent, I’m sure that we will have that in common too. 

One of the reasons that I love my job is because I actually get paid to try and create that world for her.  But for now, I will have to teach my daughter what to do on a daily basis to stay safe from assault and rape.  Hopefully the Jennifer Fopmas of the future won’t have to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment